Old June 26th 06, 06:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Questions for EDS D1a users...

Marc:

I'd strongly recommend that you install a bypass with a standard flow
meter so you can quickly change over if the unit fails. MH sells the
neccessary hardware to accomplish this. I change the 9 volt battery
every two months and put the old one in my alarm clock or garage door
opener. BTW, yours is the first failure report I've heard about.

The only way I know to accurately verify that ANY system is delivering
enough
O2 is to use a pulse-oximeter. They keep getting cheaper and all seem
reliable, as long as the batteries are good. Mine has an audible low
saturation alarm which is a useful feature. The only real problem with
them is that the sensor fits over a finger and. in a flapped ship,
tends to get in the way. At least one British pilot I've corresponded
with uses a BlueTooth-capable device and displays O2 saturation on his
PDA.

I fully agree that the carbon-fibre bottle is too damned small. It
helps a bit to have it filled at a facility that has a cooling tank and
is willing to take the time to let the temperature come down. I use
the MH on the night setting, which delivers O2 from the ground up and
get ~9 hours out of the small bottle as long as it's properly filled.
Used with the 10,000 foot setting it would probably last at least a
third longer. Age and conditioning also enter into the equation - I'm
an old fart and use much more O2 than you're likely to.

Ray Warshaw

Marc Ramsey wrote:
Thanks for the replies, I'll call Mountain High...

Marc Ramsey wrote:
1. Is this the way an EDS is supposed to operate, operator error, or
possibly a defective unit?
2. Why do EDS buyers insist upon getting those puny carbon fiber
cylinders (I used more than half the capacity in that one flight)?
3. Does anyone really like these things?

Marc