Old April 30th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Fuel Prices and their Effect on Your Flying

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 16:20:02 GMT, Jon Kraus wrote:

I did some checking around my area today (thanks www.100ll.com) about
what the fuel prices are, and was surprised to learn that my home base
(KTYQ) is charging $4.47

Great website! Not to make ya jealous Jon, but Av gas is cheaper then car
gas at some airports here in MS. (2.99 per gallon)

Last week, I had a 8 hour round trip drive to Corinth MS, which costed me
98.40 to fill up in car gas in my truck.

Had I flown (LIFR conditions stopped me - below my minimums), it would have
costed me about 80 dollars for a 2 1/4 hour round trip flight so it would
have been cheaper to fly figuring $4.00 per gallon had it been that high.

As far as the cost, well, when I balance my time to the cost of Av gas, and
the privilidge of flight, well it's worth it to me.

For local flights, I fly at 100 knots rather then 110 I plan for XC flights
so I get more flight time per gallon.

Other then that, I don't do anything different insofar as leaning the
engine and the like.

Allen