Old February 29th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default 28 years, 9000 hours

On Feb 29, 7:46*am, "Marco Leon" wrote:
"Denny" wrote in message

When he does go, some one will steal a really tired looking apache
that just happens to be mechanically ready to go anywhere in the world
- if there is anyone left who can afford an airplane by then...

I know a few guys at my airfield that have given up their airplanes for
similar reasons. My question is why don't they opt to get a cheaper
alternative like an Archer, Warrior, or C172? Sure it will get you there 15
or 30 minutes later on a normal trip but you have an airplane and retain all
the joys of ownership.

Unless Dick's missions changes a lot (and it may) a C-172 or Warrior
wouldn't be able to do the trips he does. He's used to flying across
the country in the turbo altitudes with FAA approved known ice. A
C-172 isn't a reliable year-around cross country (literally) machine.
Flying 1000 miles in the P-210 is routine. Flying 1000 miles in a
C-172 is an adventure.

-Robert