Old September 13th 11, 07:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Conspicuity Tape / Visibility Markings

On Sep 13, 3:49*am, ContestID67 wrote:
1) Leading edge tape seems the best location but will that trip the
boundary layer? *My experience is that the fishing tape is "very thin"
but I am unsure if it is as thin as aluminum speed tape. * This can be
a major road block for acceptance by competitive pilots, who are the
most likely to be flying in close quarters. * Dick would have been a
great person to perform this type of experiment.

If the prism tape works at a fairly wide range of angles then maybe it
can be put only on the bottom of the leading edge -- that is, below
the point at which the leading edge is vertical at a reasonable angle
of attack.

It may well still be quite visible in a head-on situation, and will be
perfectly visible on a circling glider to anyone outside the circle.

I assume that anyone inside the circle can already see the glider
ok :-)