Old December 2nd 10, 07:05 PM
Sparkorama Sparkorama is offline
Junior Member

Cool What First Glider to own?

I'm getting back into the sport after a long hiatus and flying in the Boston area. I'll be putting some winter flying time in and I'm considering buying my first glider once I'm back to comfortable solos and my private license. (Naturally, I won't fly anything until I am competent and ready). Any suggestions on a first glider? Because of my price range, I realize I'll be looking at some older birds. I would say my preferences are as follows. Under 20k, easy to fly, easy to maintain and safe. Naturally, I'd like to see some decent glide performance, just thinking that some future performance would be good for keeping the plane for some time. (currently I'm considering an IS29D2 Lark)
My club has competent instructors and the following fleet (winter flying in only the 2-33):
1 Puchacz (two place, 30/1 performance; advanced trainer, aerobatic)
3 Blanik L-23 (two place, 30/1 performance; advanced trainer, sightseeing)
1 Blanik L-33 solo (single place, 30/1 performance; cross-country, sightseeing)
1 Schweitzer 1-34 (single place, 34/1 performance)
1 Pilatus B-4 (single place, 35/1 performance; cross-country, aerobatic)
1 Schweizer 2-33A (two place, 23/1 performance; trainer)
1 Schweizer 1-26E (single place, 23/1 performance; aerobatic)
Your thoughts would be appreciated.