Old September 25th 12, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_32_]

Default YouTube Video of the new Butterfly Vario

On Sunday, September 23, 2012 8:11:36 PM UTC-4, Richard wrote:
On Sunday, September 23, 2012 2:58:47 PM UTC-7, Jim wrote:

On Sunday, September 23, 2012 12:03:13 PM UTC-4, Richard wrote: On Sunday, September 23, 2012 8:50:55 AM UTC-7, Adrien wrote: Thanks for the specifics. Do you take advantage of Butterfly calculations in the Ultimate? (i.e. do you feed this latter with Butterfly outputs? such as vario, baro alt, wind) Is the wind in the Butterfly also quickly updated and accurate (as far as one can judge), thanks to all the sensors it has? especially in straight flight Adrien, I don't use the butterfly vario data yet, I am waiting for the Data Module from Butterfly. The Butterfly is standalone at this point. I use PowerFlarm - LX1606 - Ultimate Le. The winds calculated with the SeeYou PNA on the Ultimate Le are very similar to the Butterfly Vario. The winds of both in my opinion are quick and accurate. I don't see any significant differences. The buad rate for the PowerFlarm to LX1606 to Ultimate is 38400. I think this is important for wind calculations, but I am not sure. Any baud rate teckies out there? Richard www.craggyaero.com Richard, Do any of the instruments in your panel give current wind direction and velocity while flying straight? Or, are they all requiring circling in thermal drift to calculate wind? -Jim

I believe the PowerFlarm, LX Navigation 1606 Ultimate give winds if you make a slight course change. the Butterfly I believe straight because it has a compass. I have not noticed much difference with either set of instruments.

Richard

www.craggyaero.com

Thanks. I have a PowerFlarm and it does not give any wind info.