Old June 27th 13, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

Default Sailplane Tracker oddness/bug (15-m and Open Nats)

When a product has been developed and provided to the community for free, I believe it is entirely reasonable for the developers to support browsers and technology that work well for their desired goal and keeps the effort required to implement and maintain a solution minimal.

Unless you're working on a locked down company computer, you are free to install Chrome/Firefox/Safari or other browsers. IE may have a large but shrinking percentage of the market, but the percentage that truly cannot use a different browser is likely miniscule.

SSA web site analytics may also completely disagree with the general population. Not likely, but possible. I have run sites that did not conform at all to the reported marketshare numbers. It all depends on your population..

Morgan

On Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:30:49 PM UTC-7, Craig R. wrote:
In the development community, IE is not liked. In a seminar on developing

javascript, I was told "IE is your enemy". Things that work everywhere else

won't work on IE. Things that work on IE won't work anywhere else.

Matt (who tests web software for a living)

Matt, I appreciate the difficulty in dealing with IE (I'm NOT a fan of MS products). However, when providing a service or product, you cater to your primary and secondary customer first. Whatever it takes. After that is accomplished, you expand further. Stats show desktop comp browser market share at 56% and Firefox at 22%. Mobile devices are 56% Safari. Chrome is down the list. You certainly should have IE and Safari covered before moving on. It is inappropriate for management to do otherwise.

Craig R