Old July 20th 17, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Fun Cobra trailer conversions?

The stress on the gas struts doesn't go away when you lower the lid. Well, the compression load doesn't. In fact, arguably it goes up slightly since the geometry of the base/top changes.

Obviously, however, the loads caused by the top being buffeted and twisted by the wind add stress. What can fail catastrophically without warning are the mounting bolts that hold the gas springs, and twisting/torsional loads aren't good for them.

Another good reason to lower the top is to keep the gas spring piston inside the cylinder where it's protected. This is probably of much more concern to older trailers where the gas struts are mounted externally (e.g., early Komets) and dust can more easily reach the chromed surface.

I also assume that the closed top positions the compressed struts so the oil in the cylinders runs down to the seals and keeps them lubricated. I've never checked but my gas springs still boost my Cobra top up without my assistance and they're 25+ years old! So I assume Spindelberger knew what they were doing.

If you're storing gas springs at home for future need, I would suggest hanging them piston down so the oil collects around the seal. Not upside down or just lying flat in a toolbox or on a shelf.

There's nothing like planning ahead and having, say, a spare LS landing gear actuating gas spring and then pulling it out when you need it at a contest...to discover it's almost as weak as the old one because the high-pressure gas has escaped around a dry seal.

Chip Bearden
"JB"