Old December 10th 15, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Double-wall Canopy mod to eliminate frost

HI Chris,
I have not seen the article, but have made clear vision panels. When I was young and foolish I did quite a bit of winter wave soaring in central Oregon, and canopy and instrument frost was a frequent problem. I used high density double stick foam tape and mylar sheet. I made about six rectangles of aproximately six by eight inches and stuck them on the inside of the canopy at sensible locations. Larger sections will not conform to the compound curves of the canopy. The tape is widely available at places like Home Depot. A credit card works pretty well on the instrument faces. Not much room for error when flying in those conditions as oxygen systems can ice up as well. I carried a bail out bottle and used a old A14 regulator and military pressure mask. I also destroyed the finish on a KA6 fuselage during one of those flights. No regrets though.
Dale Bush