Old April 24th 21, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Default Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

On Friday, 23 April 2021 at 15:36:48 UTC+1, jfitch wrote:
If what you said were true, the podium at nationals would be crowded with MG pilots. How many MGs were represented on the podium (or even the top 5) in the last several 18 meter nationals? (hint: none).

I'm amazed. In the 2019 UK 18m Nationals I believe that every one of the 37 gliders entered had a motor.

I have started my motor I think 6 times in 20 years for a retrieve. Every time it was 1500 ft AGL over a paved runway marked on a sectional. The glider is too expensive to stuff into a field and too heavy to carry out of it.

I'm amazed again and impressed. I'm sure you're a brilliant pilot and I'm not. I start my engine for a retrieve several times a season, generally raising the prop at 1,000 foot over a field. If I was over a paved runway, and not conflicting with other traffic, I would probably go lower with the intention of landing if I couldn't soar and taking off again. I believe I am quite prudent compared to other motorglider pilot friends.