Old May 27th 05, 02:29 PM

Mortimer,

Renter's insurance is not terribly expensive. Make sure you get enough
hull insurance to cover the value of the airplane you fly, not just the
FBO's deductible. Check with your FBO, because the odds are that you
are NOT covered under its insurance, so if you prang and it's your
fault, the FBO's insurance will pay the FBO, then come after you.

Interestingly, the hull portion of insurance is pretty cheap, however,
they package it with liability coverage, which is more expensive. I
carry a policy that covers the value of aircraft I rent and I just got
a policy for my daughter as she recently soloed. Cost wasn't bad and
it gives a lot of piece of mind. I've seen too many folks suddenly
facing a $50,000 bill from an insurance company after they lost it in a
crosswind and tore up an airplane. Being able to hand it over to your
insurance company to handle is a heck of a lot better than trying to
set up a payment program or processing through bankruptcy.

All the best,
Rick

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
How many of you guys carry renter's insurance? I never have in the past but I'm
older and wiser now and have been thinking about it. Specifically, that offered
through AOPA.

How much hull insurance is necessary? I'm pretty sure the FBO insures their
aircraft but surely there's a deductible I need to consider.

Your thoughts?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE