Old December 15th 03, 10:24 PM
nafod40

BllFs6 wrote:
1..... a graph that shows the L/D ratio as the wing gets closer and closer to
the ground......anything rough will do...I found such a rough graph once a year
or 2 ago on the internet....but I cant find it again......

This site has reams of gouge (Navy term).
http://www.se-technology.com/wig/index.php

2.....question.....as you approach the ground VERY closely (lets assume your
landing gear are up AND you somehow maintain a constant forward speed AND you
maintain the same angle of attack) does the drag GO down or does the lift go
up?

Both. Drag goes down due to span-related ground effect. Lift goes up due
to chord-related ground effect.

3.....lets assume a wingspan on the order of 6 feet and a chord of 2 to 3
feet.....flying say 6 inches to a foot about the ground at 40-60mph....(yeah,
Im gonna be building the worlds fastest flying lawnmower .....what kind of
lifting force could I reasonably expect? .....if you dont have the values for
the ground effect itself......I could still use the numbers for "high" altitude
values and fudge them from there to get back of the envelope ground effect
numbers....

Check that web site. Might have the answers.