Old November 5th 20, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default Old Folks Poll

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 10:35:37 PM UTC-5, andy l wrote:
On Wednesday, 4 November 2020 at 21:57:24 UTC, Chip Bearden wrote:
In the old days, the weatherman made an appearance in the morning and then--as it became evident that the actual conditions most closely resembled the forecast only in the day, date, and time of sunset--disappeared to craft his excuses until reappearing the following morning.

Chip Bearden
JB

That didn't happen in any of our competitions, or in internationals I've been to.

The briefings at one club are held in what we call a blister hangar, a temporary then permanent construction clad with sheets of curved corrugated steel.

One day years ago the met man was telling us about showers, with occasional very heavy ...

The rest of the sentence was drowned out by the sound of hailstones hitting the roof exactly on cue.

I fondly remember camping at early contests in my career (remember camping.... in tents?) and being awakened by the sound of a towplane heading up to do the local sounding. That worked fine for relatively benign days such as the beginning of a period of high-pressure dominated Wx, but it often failed miserably on pre/post frontal days and other dynamic situations. The easy availability of predictive models followed by the emergence of multiple presentation platforms (DrJack, Skysight, TopMeteo, etc.) now means that pretty much every pilot is also the Weather Guy.