Old March 28th 17, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default finding canopy leaks

I must have done it on a warm day at the airport after flying. On
really hot days it would be a little tight, but never too difficult
close. Maybe I got lucky or you got unlucky or some combination of
both? 8-)

On 3/27/2017 11:22 AM, Andy Blackburn wrote:
On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 9:24:52 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Years back I sealed my LS-6a canopy perfectly by first draping plastic
wrap over the entire canopy opening and securing around the edges with
masking tape. I then shot clear silicone around the groove in the
canopy, locked the canopy down and left it for a day. The next day I
opened the canopy, removed the plastic wrap, and using a razor blade,
trimmed off all of the silicone that squeezed out. Result: a perfectly
sealed and quiet canopy.

--
Dan, 5J

I tried that with my LS-4 (many) years ago. I did it in a nice, cool garage where I could focus on doing a clean, precise job - an not glue my canopy shut. Problem was that on a hot runway the canopy expanded enough that I couldn't latch it. It took some time and effort to carve all that silicone out of the groove. Be careful out there - some decisions are hard to undo.

Andy, 9B

--
Dan, 5J