Old October 15th 04, 11:56 PM
Eric Greenwell

Tony Verhulst wrote:

....An airport is a public use
airport, an airfield or airstrip is not public use but
is intended for aircraft, and an "outlanding" is anything
that isn't an airport or airstrip.

I once landed a glider on a sod farm that was smoother and at least as
level as the field I took off from. Does that count? :-)

Sure! I say any field not examined and selected in advance counts as an
outlanding.

In our area, the farm fields are typically a mile square, soft powdery
dirt, and safer to land on than a runway. Why? You can always land into
the wind, there is no other traffic, and forgetting to lower your gear
doesn't result in any damage. It IS very inconvenient, however.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA