Old May 17th 09, 06:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Default Drive Small VGA screen from PDA

Are the ClearNav and Ultimate seen as just slightly different design
solutions for the same problem? *I thought the ClearNav had some Nav/
Display features that gave pilots a competitive advantage ... i.e.
other then a larger display. *If you go to a contest, will you see any
of the national level pilots using one of these. Any preference for
one over the other?

I think the 'glide amoeba' function is the biggest tactical display
difference that ClearNav uses. Instead of concentric circles for where
you can/can't reach from your current position, based on your user set
L/D & altitude margins and skewed for wind, it also takes specifically
into account high/low terrain, making them more amoeba-ish in shape
than circular, which could indeed be highly useful when flying in/
around places with peaks/valleys since it will show you routes through
gaps and notches that the normal circles could lead you to believe you
just can't make it through since those I believe are based on the
highest point of terrain within the circle (?). I can see that being
an advantage, but I have neither system and there are some pretty
respectable pilots running both of systems, so I can't be of much help
in that dept... I believe ClearNav's version of GlideNav also has user
selectable sizes for the navbox infos as well.

-Paul