Old October 18th 20, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kenn Sebesta

Default Wheel brake effectiveness standards

I think the summary so far is that there's an amazing range of brake effectiveness. One takeaway is that we like having brakes, but so far there are no stories about why having highly effective brakes saved the day, or alternatively why having no brakes led to an unpleasant outcome. This is a not altogether surprising result, considering that my experience mirrors the accounts here.

I'm unsure what conclusion to draw here. It certainly seems that, arguably, effective wheel brakes are seen as a nice-to-have and great wheel brakes are an unneeded luxury. As unsettling as that is to me, if after all these years there's no data to support their need, and even CS-22 barely pays them lip service, then it doesn't seem wholly unjustifiable.

I'd love some hard numbers, if they're out there.