Old May 26th 17, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Walsh

Default Thinking about buying a DG400

At 16:22 26 May 2017, wrote:
Hi everyone=20

I'm thinking about buying a DG400 and I'm looking for

opinions. It would
be=
my first self launching glider and I would appreciate any

advise. I've
see=
n the market and the price range between 50.00 and

56.000=E2=82=AC with
abo=
ut 140 to 200h engine hours.=20

I've been reading these days a lot about the ship and I love

it. The only
p=
roblem that I see is the engine: it is not produced any

more. What would
ha=
ppen if I have any problem and I couldn't find any spares?

I would be
usele=
ss as motorglider.=20

Anything you can tell me about it is welcome=20

Thank you!

You could do worse than join the various DG/Solo forums;

lots of experience out there. I owned a 400 in the UK for
many years (my first motor glider): it never failed to start
and it never broke a drive belt, it never needed any engine
repair. The same cannot be said of the electronics. The main
source of minor wiring problems was vibration. Today the
main problem might be sourcing engine parts should they be
needed. Find an inspector who deals with DG400's and ask
their advice; options exist if you have a friendly inspector.
Despite the relatively high wing loading its weak climb
performance is adequate (a very necessary feature in the
UK!). It's docile, easy to fly, good visibility, good brakes and
good (for its day) high speed performance. Good cross wind
take off ability (for a pylon self launcher: they're all tricky in
cross winds).
Excellent DG build quality, gel coat.
We had the optional wing fuel tanks which I think we used
once in 6 years. They have a finite life & their replacement is
not cheap.
The optional solar panels are a VERY worthwhile addition.
DG, as a company, were a joy to do business with: never
any problems, always fast and efficient.
What's not to like? Well the performance in rain or with
heavy bugs on the wing is dismal but that's about the only
downside. They can also be had with the brilliant NOAH pilot
ejection system.
(If can afford, or find, a DG800A it's a much better
sailplane).