Old May 28th 17, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Thinking about buying a DG400

On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 6:59:29 AM UTC-4, wrote:
First of all, although I am a comerial pilot, my experience in pure
sailplanes is very little (don´t reach 100h). Do you recommend me to
wait to have more experience in pure sailplane before making the transition?

YES.
To be able to safely focus on engine management (and especially when things
go wrong), flying the glider must be completely automatic. Regardless of
power experience, you are not at this point with less than 100 hours.

Second point, I´m not very handy, I don´t have any type of experience
in mechanics so any problem the plane has I would have to go to a workshop.
Is that a big inconvenience?

YES.
Identify someone nearby with extensive experience maintaining the type
you expect to buy. Hint: There isn't likely to be anybody...
And maintenance of these machines by folks not intimately familiar
with the type often goes very badly.

This problem would happen to me with any type of glider that I buy.

NO.
Any motor-glider will require MUCH more (and more specialized) maintenance
as compared to a non-motorized glider.

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave "YO" (multiple offender, 2000 hrs in motor-gliders)