Old March 30th 20, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Buying glider from an estate - maintenance logs not available

On Sunday, March 29, 2020 at 9:46:09 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, March 29, 2020 at 6:00:56 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
What do you do when the executor of an estate is willing but unable to provide the maintenance logs for a glider that you are trying to buy?

Any other tips on buying a glider from an estate?

The worst case, is that you'll have to pay to repeat any mandatory inspections or work that you can't document have been done. This won't usually be much for a glider.

To me it would make a lot of difference what ship we might be taking a chance on.

Is this a 60+ year old vintage ship of wood with possible hidden problems? Is this a 40 year old early glass glider that might have a boat load of ADs, limited lifespan, known issues, etc, etc? A mid-aged club trainer that is built practically indestructible? Or maybe something in the 5-15 year range of a well known model of glider with a good fleet track record from a reputable vendor that's still in business?

Vast difference between these examples when dealing with no log books.