Old January 7th 21, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default RAntonov A-15

Martin Gregorie wrote on 1/7/2021 5:18 AM:
On Thu, 07 Jan 2021 02:52:15 +0100, Andreas Maurer wrote:

On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 15:14:07 -0800 (PST), 2G
wrote:

I am (or was) 6' 2" and fit into an ASW19 just fine with the seat back
removed.

6'7" here. ASW-20 fits perfectly.

ASW-19, ASW-20 and Pegase all use the same fuselage, so if you're
comfortable in one you will be happy sitting in any of them.

An extra to Andreas' previous comments: I've just discovered, rather to
my amusement, that the all-metal, 18m Open class Antonov A-15 has, on
paper at least, near-identical performance to a Standard Libelle (in
terms of glide ratio and stalling, best-glide and Vne speeds) despite
being around 100kg heavier.

However, I've only ever seen one A-15, at the Sazena, Czechoslovakia club
in 1997. Its quite a pretty glider and I've always wondered how nice they
are to fly: there were several airworthy examples around 20 years ago:
are there any still flying?

Wikipedia lists it with a 17 m span. Were there variants? It looks so much like a Schreder
design (HP-14, etc), I'm wondering if it also had 90 degree flaps and the same structure. With
350 produced, according to Wikipedia, it seems there should still be many around, somewhere.