Old July 6th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Default The biggest safety investment in GA is...

Dan,

Having the IR is like owning a gun: it
can be used safely, but used ineptly it can kill you and those you love.

I agree. OTOH, I've learned in IFR training that there is a huge
difference between "soft" IMC which is way hard enough to kill you as a
VFR pilot (see probably Jay's example, from what was posted) and "hard"
IMC which is borderline in any single-engine piston. At the "soft" end of
that range, even a less proficient IFR pilot can save the day where a
VFR-only pilot can't.

Also, as you say, having the IFR training helps you in your overall
flying, not just in the clouds.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)