Old April 18th 19, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Undershoot Vs. Overshoot airport landing accidents

I've experimented with S-turns (after reading George Moffatt). They work well. I was able to turn a much too high approach into a spot landing twice in two tries. Glider folk on the ground won't enjoy this, they'll think something is wrong.

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8

Yeah, S-turns work well. They were part of our curriculum 50+ years ago but I"m not sure how many U.S. pilots have experience with them now. I've used them at the airport and going into fields. At the airport, they can confuse folks on the ground and, especially, others in the pattern. But MUCH preferable to a 360 once you're down to pattern altitude.

I like coming in fairly high with plenty of airspeed. I can always get rid of it. Diving it off works but, as Tim observes, can be deceptive. I love slips.

Chip Bearden
JB