Old March 14th 21, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matthew Scutter

Default Glidecoat.com Ceramic Coating for gel coat marine good for gliders?

On Sunday, March 14, 2021 at 10:49:20 PM UTC+10, andy l wrote:
On Saturday, 13 March 2021 at 20:02:17 UTC, 2G wrote:
Ceramic coatings are not "snake oil" - they work.

I have used this ceramic coating on my ASH31Mi:

They are used on offshore wind turbine blades, and on trains to aid cleaning and make graffiti easier to remove. Whether the one in the original post is similar formulation, I don't know.

Instinctively I feel the time to use this is on virgin surface after refinish, either new paint or a light sand over removing e.g. spar ripple and weave pattern etc, rather than something that's already had other treatment a few seasons.

I may be wrong. Maybe some more research or experimentation ...

I watched a lot of YouTube comparisons of various waxes and coatings, including a few where they apply 30 different coatings to pieces of bonnet and leave it outside for a year to compare the results. The ceramic coats clearly are much better than the waxes we use for beading water and maintaining a sheen, but I'm not sure if that correlates to minimizing contamination (bugs), the longevity of the paint/gel or improvement in performance. Most ceramic coats are described as being less 'slippery' to the touch than their wax competitors, I wonder if this affects the adhesion of bugs or surface drag?