Old June 17th 04, 02:54 AM
Jack

On 6/16/04 6:38 PM, in article
, "Michael"
wrote:

Pete Brown wrote
Let's keep a bit of perspective. These badges are primarily
a record of personal achievement, very little more.

Well, not quite. For one thing, they are used as a prerequisite for
entering contests.

[....]

I never did enter a contest. I eventually got my glider instructor
rating and taught some. I still fly a great deal, but mostly in
power. Less hassle, more fun. I still teach too, but also mostly in
power. I just finished teaching a glider pilot to fly instruments.
He also doesn't have a Silver badge, even though he has made more than
one qualifying flight. He doesn't fly gliders anymore either. But
hey, I'm sure keeping guys like us out is a small price to pay for
maintaining the integrity of the badge system. After all, if we were
truly serious, we would have overcome the obstacles. I'm sure soaring
is better off without us.

I'm sure it is not better off. However, to be fair, if it wasn't the badge
system it would have been something else -- considering the route you have
traveled since.

Here's hoping you come back to soaring someday soon.

In the meantime, those of us who stay will continue to try to improve the
system, and to make those badge flights (paperwork and all) just to show we
are as good as those who went before, and as good as those who will come
after.

Jack