Old September 20th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default Pawnee Cooldown Procedures

"fred" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Sep 20, 8:17 am, " wrote:
Gav:

You can add Super Cubs and AgWagons to that list.

0-540 Lychoming engines are incredibly tough and durable but the one
way I have seen cylinders crack is by excessive leaning.

Say it again, bro Grubb, "STAY IN DEAD STICK GLIDING RANGE OF THE
AIRPORT!"
The engine won't run on air or water. If it quits, or runs rough,
don't try to fix it in the air. Pick a landing spot first.
That spot will be very nearly 45 degrees down with the prop turning.
Most pilots don't know how to land off-field, so they will get up-
tight and either land long or short if its not their own airport.

I speak from painful experience,,, 3 different "good pilots" put down
3 Pawnees with heavy damage to the aircraft. Two out of gas, one with
water in the fuel...didn't check after refueling. One landed on a
road, signs tore the wings off.
The second one landed on the airport but stalled it high, almost high
enough to start a spin. Totaled.
The one with water was at 9,000 ft and tried to fix the rough running
engine by switching mags and pumping the throttle. It blew up and
caught fire. He landed in a field, hit a sprinkler line. A farmer
nearby had a fire extinguisher and put out the fire. It was contained
in front of the FIREWALL. Everything had to be replaced and a wing
major repair.
He overshot his landing.
In summary, Pilots are taught to pre-flight their planes, but often
don't. Most are taught how to talk on the radio, but not taught how to
land offf field.
Fred

I've heard these stories from all around the country. We probably don't
hear about those that make good dead stick landings.

One of our local tuggies managed his "Out-of-Gas Adventure" with the local
FSDO director in the glider he was towing.

It reminds me that no one has crashed a winch.

Bill D