Old May 25th 04, 09:00 PM
Marc Ramsey

"Romeo Delta" wrote...
I am soliciting opinions on which is the best way to go:

1. Cambridge Aero 302

-or-

2. Borgelt B50 system combined with a data logger: a. CAI 302A
b. Colibri
c. Volkslogger

I've owned and used both, and have a few comments. As a vario I think the
B50 is a noticeably better instrument. It is responsive, has pleasant
audio, excellent factory support, and completely reliable. The downsides
are that it takes more panel space, some GPS sources are incompatible with
its multiplexing capabilities (but the listed flight recorders should work
fine), it is difficult to get the polar right for netto and speed to fly,
and changing the polar also requires opening the case, which makes it
unsuitable for gliders with multiple spans.

The 302 is a decent instrument, and the vario is a big improvement over the
LNAV and predecessors (don't believe the hype about it being less sensitive
to gusts, though). It has the option of using electronic total energy,
which is an advantage in some installations. The audio and meter response
times can be set independently. The polar can be changed by the PDA, it is
pretty easy to get usable netto and speed to fly. The MacCready and ballast
settings can be changed by the PDA or on the 302 itself, which means you can
use whatever is more comfortable to reach. The meter (and audio) can
indicate well over 20 knots, which is great for flying someplace like
Tonopah. The primary downside is that the servo-driven 360 degree meter is
slow, confusing, and hard to get used to. I also question the overall
reliability of the 302, as I know several people who have had to return
their units to Cambridge more than once for repairs, and several of the LCD
segments on my 302 are currently out. The "new" Cambridge also seems to
have lost the reputation the old one had for quick turn-around on service.

Marc