Old July 9th 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Where do you find places to fly?

Yeah...I wish Jay would do more flying out here on the Left Coast so he
could scout out some good spots! :-)

Well, no Left Coast -- but we DID end up flying to Quincy, Illinois
today. (Yep, the same airport where the airliner and commuter met at
intersecting runways a few years ago, with disastrous results.)

Why Quincy? Two reasons:

a. Lower wind velocity. With temps in the upper 90s, the wind really
kicked up today, and we were taking a first-timer with us. (Joe's away
at wrestling camp.) The TAFs for Quincy showed no gusts predicted --
and they were right.

b. FOOD. The on-field restaurant is under new ownership, and we
wanted to try it out.

Our passenger (a friend of our daughters) had never, EVER flown
before. Not just never in a small plane -- never, period.

In my experience, this is dicey with anyone over age ten, especially
on a hot, sticky, windy day. Needless to say, Mary and I were
extremely careful in flight, and I made sure to place BIG plastic bags
in the seat backs, for easy access.

No worries -- she was a real natural. She gave out a little whoop
when we took off, looked out the window for a few minutes -- and then
started playing "Go Fish" with my daughter! I was actually kinda
disappointed at her blase reaction, but I guess this is better than
getting sick in the plane...

It was a beautiful flight. Once at altitude, the temps were quite
comfortable, and -- despite the wind and heat -- it was surprisingly
smooth. Our passenger got a kick out of seeing the Mississippi
River, and was surprised when she couldn't see cars on the freeway.
I don't think she quite grasped that we were over a mile high, but
that's probably okay.

The new restaurant on the field is nice (called "Tailwinds"), and the
food was awesome. Quite affordable too -- but just don't be in too
much of a hurry. We waited 45 minutes for (what we thought was)
pretty basic sandwiches.

And the mysterious Russian jet fighters are still sitting on the ramp
in Quincy. We haven't been there in a several years, and they are
still sitting there, waiting for...a buyer? Who knows?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA