Old November 15th 03, 03:09 PM
Kyler Laird

"markm" writes:

That's really cool Kyler!

I'm happy to hear you find it useful. There's a lot more data to come.

Did you ask about reproduction and distribution rights?

http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/...67%20South.htm

Acknowledgement of the Federal Aviation Administration would be
appreciated in products derived from these data. When product
developers or other customers acknowledge the Federal Aviation
Administration as the source of the data, the FAA seal or
initials cannot be used to imply that a product is endorsed,
approved, or authorized by the Federal Aviation Administration.

Does everyone agree that I've acknowledged the FAA as the source of the
data without implying that they've endorsed, approved or authorized my
distribution?

I assume that since this data collection is taxpayer-funded, the FAA
would like to see it utilized by taxpayers. Their cost of distribution
is about $600/year/customer. I can understand that; they have a lot of
overhead in order to make this all official and charge people for it.
I'm providing quite a different, _very_ unofficial product with
dramatically lower overhead - in large part because I'm willing to eat
the cost of it instead of maintaining an accounting infrastructure.

My hope is that there are people at the FAA/NACO who are thrilled to see
this data widely and freely distributed so that more people can take
advantage of it. I don't know why anyone would object.

Just wondering what the other companies like Maptech think about this. Last
I talked to them they were scanning the sectionals but the quality was not
as good as these,

They're welcome to use these images. While I'm more interested in Free
projects and individuals using this data, I don't have any qualms with
others downloading the images from me if they do something beneficial
with them.

course these are larger.

There are lots of options for making them smaller. We're all free to
experiment now.

BTW, I was quite surprised at how many people wanted this data. I've had
about 415 machines check out the data, with over half getting at least one
TIFF, and a third getting a zipped collection. I've been pushing well
over 5Mbps (my limit) continuously.

Today the demand really dropped off. There's a dialup user getting a few
of the sectionals and someone in Houston just started downloading the
entire collection. That's a lot different from having several high-speed
users download everything.

I just looked into upgrading my bandwidth plan, but I don't think it'll be
necessary. I'm only pushing 3Mbps right now. I think everyone is almost
satisfied. I'll try to keep the update process efficient so that we don't
have to go through this big push again.

--kyler