Old December 8th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Trouble Getting Hotel Room For SSA Convention

Since it seems the time people are making plans to go is there a list
of speakers, events, demonstrations anywhere? Even a preliminary one?
There are only nine weeks to go after all. If I'm to push things
around to make this I need to decide now to do it now and I assume
other people are in the same situation.

All the other things mentioned are a bit worrying, after stories of
some disorganization and the freezing exhibit hall last year (I did
not go last year, I did go to Ontario and though it was well worth
while), I really hope we don't have conflicts with major other
conventions, hotels under renovation, etc. Maybe somebody involved
could update people on the situation. Hopefully these things are not
significant issues.

Sure would be great if the SSA had its own newsgroups or forums so SSA
related things could be discussed there and not have to spam the rest
of the world on r.a.s.

Darryl

On Dec 5, 6:57 pm, John Murphy wrote:
About a week ago I tried to get a hotel room at the Doubletree during
the SSA convention. I asked for the SSA special price and was told
that they had no records of the SSA or any special room rates. They
quoted me a rate of $159.00. I then called back this morning and the
reservation agent told me that they had a block of rooms for the SSA,
but they were all sold out, and that the entire hotel was sold out
during the convention dates. She tried to book me at the Embassy
Suites, which is owned by the same company, and which was
significantly more expensive than the $99.00 SSA special price. I
declined. I called back this afternoon just to check, and they had
rooms at the SSA price. I booked immediately.

I just wanted to let you all know about the problems so you didn't
give up the first time you called the Doubletree. I'm not sure what
the problem is on their end, but they seem to be really disorganized.