Old April 25th 05, 03:34 PM
Matt Barrow

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
In article , Matt Barrow wrote:
http://www.timbro.com/euvsusa/ (EU vs. USA) by a think tank in

Stockholm,
Sweden Read particularly the summary at the bottom and some of he charts
comparing the various EU countries against the US.

The EU will always lag behind the US in productivity - mainly because we
have a shorter working week and a lot more vacation time. Less hours to
work. I think in Germany the usual new employee gets something like 6
weeks paid leave (vs 2 in the US), and works a 35 hr week (vs 40 hrs in
the US).

Personally, I'd rather have the shorter working week and the time off!

Nothing wrong with that -- most teenagers feel that way -- as long as you
can keep your ENVY under control. Seems a common thread within the EU and
much of the world outside the Orient. The problems arise when such people
want to augment their income/standard of living by digging into the wallets
of more motiviated people. With kids you kinda expect it; with adults it's
just parasitism.

Then, too, EU's productivty per "man hour" is rather less, all the way to
WAY less. And their standard of living is appropriately concurrent.

BTW, Canada's population is almost identical with the population of
"African-Americans" in the US and their GNP is virtually identical as well.
IOW, Canadians are as well off as one of our "less fortunate" population
sub-sets.

I'll take the 70 hour weeks and still have enough to take several nice
vacations each year.

--
Matt