Old February 14th 14, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FES - Take 2

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 5:04:32 PM UTC-8, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Thursday, February 13, 2014 6:27:03 PM UTC-6, MNLou wrote:

Although I enjoyed the discussion in my previous thread on drag and handicaps, I was trying to create a discussion about the benefit of having a reliable propulsion system versus a pure glider. For this discussion, please assume that someone created an FES system that had no drag and no additional weight. Thus, an FES equipped ship and an non-FES equipped ship had identical polars. Also assume that the FES system was 100% reliable. Do you think the FES ship would have a competitive advantage over a pure glider because of the ability to stretch the "safe flight" envelope? Lou

As the others have said, "OF Course it does!". Especially since you made the assumption of 100% reliability and no drag penalty. It probably does even with some drag penalty, and the existing weight penalty. But, as Hank says, you really can't put a number on confidence, and we want all the participation we can get. So, get your FES and come play!

Steve

Yup - what Steve and Hank said.

My personal view is that risk mitigation from a reliable power source offers more advantage than any difference in performance and improved tactical decision making from having two capable pilots in the glider can trump a fair amount of both of the two above factors. It's very hard, if not impossible to quantify the benefits of carrying a motor or an additional soaring tactician/spotter/relief pilot - so we don't try to adjust for these things for now.

9B