Old February 16th 14, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FES - Take 2

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 2:51:32 PM UTC-6, Steve Koerner wrote:
Excellent suggestion JJ! I hope that idea finds its way into the rules soon.

JJ, your proposal might be a little over the top. Imagine a speed task with two turnpoints and a long final leg. The motorized sailplane is now doubly incentivized to finish. If he lands 5 mi short (or starts his engine) he only gets distance points to the second turnpoint, a significant reduction from the distance he has accomplished. On top of that comes the discussed-at-length final glide pressure.
I would prefer a handicap-driven correction factor for motorized sailplanes.. OLC flights worldwide are now dominated by motorized gliders for the very reasons we discussed. Earlier starts and longer flights at the day's end as well as other tactical considerations greatly advantage the motorized guy.
Herb