Old April 5th 04, 12:22 AM
rjciii

Shawn Curry wrote:

I don't like the way the way the Academy appears to be managing this
valuable program.

So now I'm confused as to your position in this matter.

Are you more concerned with how maintenance on the Academy's aircraft
is documented and the management of such documentation, or are you
more concerned about the cessation of flying once discrepancies in the
documentation were discovered?

And, by the way, what does either of these concerns have to do with a
Cadet overstressing an aircraft at some point in the past?

As far as fiscal concern, tell me which of the following ails you:

1. The internal audit that uncovered maintenance documentation concern
was unnecessary and a waste of taxpayer money, or

2. The organizational self-imposed cessation of flying until the
maintenance paperwork is brought up to military standards is a waste
of taxpayer money, or

3. Bitching about something that really doesn't concern you somehow
makes you feel superior (or at least less inferior) to those enrolled
in a highly demanding and highly selective institution that most
people can't even remotely be considered for much less graduated from.

Can't help you much if the answer is #3., but if your position is best
decribed as either #1. and/or #2. above, I ask you to consider what,
then, would you as a taxpayer prefer the Academy do? Not document
aircraft maintenance? No, that would be silly, wouldn't it? So would
you prefer the Academy not scrutinize maintenance documentation? And
if any documentation decrepancies are found should they just blow it
off and press ahead with the flying as if nothing was remiss?

It seems to me that the Academy is managing this situation no
differently than you or I or any FBO or the FAA would do should an
aircraft's maintenance records be determined suspect. Don't fly the
plane until the paperwork is straightened out.

Since you don't like the way this "valuable program" is being managed,
I encourage you to send your opinions to the Superintendent. Be sure
to include suggestions on how you would do it better. I'm sure he'll
give it the attention such insightfulness deserves.

Cadets ripping their [sic] wings off, indeed!

RD