Old February 16th 04, 04:29 PM
Jim Weir

Along with a degree in Semiconductor Physics comes a smattering of optics. Note
the word "smattering". I do not claim to have as detailed a knowledge of optics
as is necessary to prove to myself that any one design will in fact meet the FAA
requirements for (a) illumination pattern and (b) color. A minor failure in
either of these criteria, an incident or (even worse) accident traceable to the
failure to be seen at night and bingo, somebody gets to explain it to the man in
the black robe.

Having said that, you are correct. There are devices out there that would seem
to meet the requirements. I can evaluate the electronics of the design, make
any power source necessary for the operation of the design, but I cannot do the
optics part of the equation.

I've got a lab set up with just under $100K in electronic test equipment, but my
optics lab consists of a 1950s era photometer calibrated for f-stop and
fractional seconds and used with Kodak slide film. The point is that I'm more
than willing to work with somebody who DOES understand the optics part of the
requirements but needs the electronics handed to them as completed equipment.
No problem.

As yet, such a person has not leapt forward.

Jim

Scott Gettings

-
-Jim, is it feasible for an average builder to integrate any of these LED
-components into nav lights that will have acceptable performance?
-Perhaps a Kitplane article to help all us electronically-challenged
-builders?

http://www.rst-engr.com