Old October 18th 03, 12:42 AM
Ed Wischmeyer

Nuthin' in here about homebuilts that I kin see. As far as I can tell, this
is just creating a new class of "Certified" "Factory built and approved"
airplanes - with the exception of reining in the illegal, overweight
ultralights.

After tracking this closely for a few years, here's a few points of
"clarification", if I've got my facts straight:
* The proposal allows "sport pilots" to fly any aircraft which meets the
"light sport aircraft" limitations, regardless of whether said aircraft
is certificated LSA, experimental / amateur built, or standard category,
but possibly subject to some limitations.
* "Light sport aircraft" can avoid all of the certification hassles of
standard category, and the 51% rule of experimental amateur built, by
meeting the consensus standards for LSA.
* There is no "light sport aircraft experimental amateur built" -- those
are two separate categories.
* "Light sport aircraft" can be flown by "real" pilots, also, but this
will not necessarily exempt the "real" pilots from the same limitations
as "sport" pilots.

Haven't taken the time to read the final rule that's going through the
works. I'm waiting for the Cliff notes...

Ed Wischmeyer