Old May 8th 21, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Default Log Book - Yawn!

Jeff,

I keep 3 versions of the same electronic logbook:
1- Online, where I can also view the flight trace for further analysis
2- on my computer in an exported spreadsheet and pdf formats
3- in print from the exported PDF files.

I assume the print version is legal as long as it contains data like dates and number of flights and hours.

I also keep a traditional paper logbook just for things like BFR and endorsements.

Ramy

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 10:52:27 AM UTC-7, Jeff Bures wrote:
For SCUBA I use my the paper log book for planning and recording details on-site before/after my dive. It is the 'permanent log' that I keep. At the end of my day or week, I upload my dive data (similar to IGC file from dive computer) to my digital log book and fill in details and notes. They both co-exist nicely together.

I was always under the impression that our paper log book was a 'legal document', containing necessary and required information.

I ask all this out of curiosity:

Do people not keep paper flight logs anymore?
What about students? Don't they need to record training notes, solo endorsements, etc?
What about a legal record of flight hours (in type, model, location, etc)? Do insurance companies, FAA, and commercial operations just trust us? They never say 'show me your log book'?
What about proof of BFR and other endorsements (like motorglider)?
Is IGC flight logging ubiquitous? Or just among rec.aviation.soaring participants?

Anyway, back to my original question. If you were to have a paper log book, what other pages might it include? What details on the 'flight log page' have I forgotten or be handy to add?