Old May 31st 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Newbie Q: Blanik L-23 Landing

"Pete Brown" wrote in message
Mitty wrote:
I am learning to fly a Blanik L-23 and my instructor is telling me to "fly it
on" with no flare.

Listen to the instructor.

1) I am commercial/instrument rated with somewhere north of 1000 ASEL and a
few ASES landings in my logbook. I am _programmed_ to flare. :-) To not
flare is very hard for me.

Well learn a new technique...Its easy and fun. The normal landing is similar
to a wheel landing in a conventional (tail wheel) airplane.

One thing to consider is that the main wheels of gliders often barely peek
out from the fuze (to reduce drag) while an airplane's main wheels may stick out
three or four feet. A hefty flair in some gliders (they vary) will bang the
hell out the the tailwheel long before the main wheel can make contact with the
ground.

The learning problem works both ways. I flew gliders long before I flew
airplanes and CFIs still complain that my touchdowns are "kinda flat". I also
have a terrible time remembering that it is perfectly OK to land an airplane in
a crosswind without first leveling the wings.

Vaughn