Old July 7th 08, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Steve Hix

Default Join us for our 6th Annual Fly-In Pool Party!

In article ,
Matt Whiting wrote:

I was up flying for 2.5 hours today to get in some approaches to keep my
instrument rating current and hardly heard another sole flying. I heard
a Citation also doing practice approaches at an airport about 60 miles
away, but I flew to three local airports and did not see a single
operation at any of them and this is on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon.

I was up this afternoon practicing landings at two different airports,
and it was fairly busy (about 120 miles, more or less, south of SFO)
locally.

Between a handful of Citations, a Pilatus, a Piaggio Avanti, a gaggle of
Cessnas, handful of Beechcraft, various helicopters, an experimental
getting in its first 25 hours, a Pitts and a Christen Eagle, and the LSA
I was renting, I wasn't having trouble staying awake.

Never did see the Staggerwing heading past on its way south, but I did
see it parked at Frazier Lake yesterday.

It *was* pretty quiet along the coast, what with the low deck hanging
around all day near the beach, and the smoke from the Big Sur fires is
still messing up visibility to the south of us.

Like it or not, GA is starting the emanate the death rattle.

It's been nearly dead now, really, for sure, for much of the past 50
years. It's been trying to shake that cough since the late 40s, at least.