Old November 11th 04, 05:05 PM
C Kingsbury

Well, it's the old saw about being able to avoid any one link in a chain of
errors. Maybe the ADF was INOP? That would be a surprise. I know if my ADF
says one thing and my GPS another I'd probably trust the GPS. And on a bad
day we've all gotten fixes and altitudes confused, even for just a second.
We can do plenty of training, etc., to try and minimize the risk of any
individual error but we're all human and sometimes you have a bad day. And
sometimes, perhaps both members of a 2-pilot crew with thousands of hours in
type simultaneously pick the same day to make their month's quota of
screw-ups, and it's low IMC in the mountains. There but for the Grace of
God...

-cwk.

"OtisWinslow" wrote in message
This is one of the few plausible explanations I've heard. One thing
seems certain .. he thought he was referencing the FAF when in
reality he was referencing the MAP. Although you'd have thought
they'd have wondered why they never got the OM indicator. Also
since it says "ADF Required" I would hope they had one .. and
then wonder why they wouldn't notice why the needle was pointing
at the tail as they approached what they THOUGHT was the FAF.
GPS's are a great tool, but they can sure confuse the situation if
your switchology gets out of whack.