Old April 21st 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Grand Canyon overflight proposal

As a guy who has hiked out of the canyon with a 65 year old with pace
maker (11 hours), I personally know it can be done. On the other hand
a chance to see this wonder of the world from the sky would add a whole
new dimension to the Grand Canyon experience. I don't understand why
the park system can't offer a limited number of permits only to be used
on say a thursday or tuesday, or a day that is commonly a slow and low
attendance day. This way planes don't fly everyday and trips, up or
down can be scheduled to avoid the problem.

And I don't understand what the problem is. I've been part-way down
the canyon, and I saw and heard aircraft overhead. What's the big
deal?

I've also flown over the canyon (while stuck inside the VERY specific
-- and annoying -- GPS corridors and altitudes that we are now
restricted to flying in), and it was the most breath-taking experience
of my flying life. There is simply nothing else to compare it to.

The fact that a special interest group is trying to restrict our
freedoms -- again -- is what I find disgusting. Every day, it seems,
tiny, vocal minorities are capturing the ears of elected
representatives, and quietly slipping through new, more restrictive
laws. This is NOT just an aviation thing -- it's EVERYWHERE.

My point stands. Ten times more people fly over the Canyon than will
ever have the chance to hike into it. Are these people somehow less
important? Are they second-class citizens?

The overflight canyon experience should be a mandatory, "do before you
die" thing for EVERY American, and to even talk about banning it is
wrong.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA