Old June 2nd 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
d&tm[_2_]

Default Gliders in the Grand Canyon

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
Mxsmanic wrote:
If there were no airspace restrictions, would it be possible/safe to fly
gliders in the Grand Canyon? There's not much of a place to land in the
canyon, of course, but I don't know if there are thermals or something
(?)
that would allow a glider to climb back up out of the canyon after
gliding
below the rim. Is it possible? Has anyone done it?

Go read SFAR 50-2 and come back if you have further questions.
You can't operate even a powered aircraft below the rim in most
places.

Is that a recent rule? I vividly remember my trip to the Grand Canyon in
1985 It was our honeymoon and I havent been able to get back since.
We took a 1 hour flight in a Twin Otter of Grand Canyon Airlines. It went
way down into canyon, and it was quite specatacular looking out the window
to see a rock wall. I will also never forget hearing on the news about 3
months later that one of these planes ( I never did find out if it was the
same one) had a midair with a helicopter killing all onboard.
Terry
PPL Downunder