Old May 22nd 18, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Reducing collision hazard at contests

I do agree and that is why I read RAS - sometimes good ideas and things to ponder come up - and I am not against new rules to make flying safer and new gadgets to let me see other flying objects and they see me

I think pondering ideas is good - but many times what seems ok on paper, in practice does not get the result hoped for. Sorry I am not usually the cold water LOL

I also think start gate timing can be hazardous and gaggle flying increases risk and is boring. (we are after all in the US where independence is supposed to be rewarded) - it is a complicated issue to solve.

If you give start times - some pilots will get a huge advantage - they got a climb at the right time - their time was at the best time of day...... separate everyone by 2 minutes and at Sr's in FL takes 2 hours+ to get everyone on task. I think that is a problem and I am not so sure it stops glider from forming gaggles (although smaller).

One of the Soaring 101 things to do in a contest the books/mentors all say, is to use your eyes looking for other gliders circling and to see the best line to run. If you get a penalty for reaching a few circling gliders and then joining the thermal - or running a line only to find out you catch up for a few gliders..... doesn't that fundamentally change the nature of the sport?

I thought the whole TAT type task was made to try to create separation - (I am fairly new to Soaring) - and I think there are those pilots that believe TAT tasks changed the nature of the sport. (I like TAT's MAT's AT's by the way)

I guess all I am saying really is that I would love to read about a idea - then some day read about how it was tried at a local/small contest so there could be some science behind a rule change.

I am fine with rule changes as long as they get the intended result and not so many unintended problems.

My ideas -
1. Incentivize leaving early - why not a bonus for finishing first to return. or maybe the first 3 to return.
2. Don't devalue days. All devaluing does make week days have less incentive to start early, start alone or start at all.

I think I like positive feedback better than penalties

My .02

WH