Old June 14th 18, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Safety against commercial pressure?

I seem to get a beating for attacking commercial pilots in general. Please read my first post carefully: the whole point is about the phrase "in conditions many would not venture".

According to Collins:

"If you venture somewhere, you go somewhere that might be dangerous. [literary]
People are afraid to venture out for fear of sniper attacks. Few Europeans who had ventured beyond the Himalayas had returned to tell the tale."

Every other meaning in the book also stresses the concept of taking a risk.

So, I inferred the poster meant that some commercial pilots, flying for commercial operators, take risks knowingly, more so than other sailplane pilots. That is what I find disturbing, especially if they do it when taking guests with them.

If the consensus is that nobody does it, and I understood the phrase wrong, it's OK with me.

I also clearly stated that I didn't want to relate this thread to the particular accident, having no details about the causes or conditions of the crash.