View Single Post
Old June 15th 18, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Grand Teton Crash

On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 2:03:19 PM UTC-6, Bob T wrote:
On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 8:08:23 PM UTC-6, George Haeh wrote:
In my glider TAS and Groundspeed along with the usual IGC file data are fed to my Oudie in one second intervals. That data can be used to quantify longitudinal and vertical wind shears.

Does anybody know what would be recorded in the accident glider?

Sad indeed. Clear air, cloudy, or stormy, This is why I spent a long time researching and then writing the 10 page article in Soaring Magazine a few years ago titled "Rogue Air". Every once in a while the air can sneak up on pilots and cause an upset, sometimes fatal. My upset came in clear air with a few cu. Luckily, I pulled out at about 500' agl and was surprised the wings stayed on. It just wasn't my day to go. For others, it's their time, and our time to be sad, yet remember all the good of those that have moved on.

http://www.danlj.org/~danlj/Soaring/...b_Thompson.pdf

Bob - Your article is excellent and I do believe it may explain a lot when it comes to some accidents and incidents in recent years. I have no idea if it was a factor in this terrible accident at the Grand Teton National Park, but we have all heard about (and perhaps personally experienced) accidents and incidents in which the cause of the "upset" could really never be definitively determined. I believe that in many cases something really out of the ordinary "happened" and I also believe that "Rogue Air," that no one ever "saw," may be the real cause of quite a few accidents. Thanks for doing all of the research and for writing it! Be careful out there! Renny