Old May 25th 06, 11:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

Default Busted TFR, what to expect?

What is it with you guys busting TFR's ?? Don;t you ever get weather
briefings?? I can't figure it out. I have my students get a Wx
briefing before every flight, even if local that way we are informed.

Personally, I think most of these TFR are a stupid PITA but there is
littel dang excuse for a licensed pilot to bust one unless it were an
emergency.

John Doe wrote:
"bob" wrote in message
oups.com...

Seems I busted a VIP TFR Monday near Sacramento (VP Cheney was in town
raising money for a couple of congressmen). On landing at my
destination I was asked by the airport manager to call an ATC number,
who got my info and said they would forward it to the local FSDO as a
"pilot deviation". I'm not disputing that I indeed was ignorant of the
TFR and violated it.

So what can I expect? I've already figured out that the Secret Service
isn't going to arrest me. My biggest concern is what it will do to my
insurance costs when I renew next year. Should I bother filing the
NASA ASRS form? Since I'm a PP-ASEL and flying is a hobby, I don't
otherwise care a lot if my license is suspended for a time or I end up
with a record.

I had my first experience with a VIP TFR last weekend. Bush was in town and
I had gotten an email from AOPA notifying me of the TFR in my area. I
thought that was awesome that I got advance notice through email.

Anyway, I do my normal flight planning and sure enough, the TFR is active
over the top of my non-towered airfield.

I go out to the airfield, and for some strange reason, I kind of expected
the FBO to have posted something, somewhere, that there was an active TFR
over the top of this airfield, but nope, nothing. I'm not even sure anyone
at the FBO knew it was there.

I was just slightly suprised. So for all the pilots out there who don't
religously check the NOTAMS immediately before takeoff, you can all too
easily be bitten by a TFR.

Had my airfield been 2nm closer to the event, I would have been within the
restricted airspace and could have facen the worst case reprocutions if I
busted the airspace.

Luckily, I've learned to check NOTAMS prior to every flight, and following
the procedures, the TFR didn't delay me at all in getting on my way.