Old January 13th 13, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Werner Schmidt

Default Hang Gliding Record Distance Flight Story

Hello Bob, you wrote at 01 Jan 2013 17:26:

On Jan 13, 8:59 am, Mike the Strike wrote:
As an ex hang-glider pilot, I also thought that the story was well researched and nicely written, without the usual inaccuracies.

One interesting note - the article says that pilots had to land before half-an-hour after sunset for the record to be valid. Is this true and, if so, why do they get half-an-hour longer than glider pilots?

Mike

They carried strobe lights for just that purpose. We need to look
into that to see if such an addition to gliders could give us the
extra 1/2 hour.

AFAIK, use of position lights allows this (at least over here in Germany).

regards
Werner