Old November 28th 04, 02:00 AM
James L. Freeman

wrote in message m...
I had a fairly gentle cross wind from the left. I had cancelled out all
sideways drift by lowering my left wing and aligned the plane with the
runway with right rudder. At touchdown, everything seemed perfect. That
is when all hell broke loose. As soon as I touched down, I started a
very fast turn to the right. At one point I was headed right between
two runway light. As I was deciding that "between" was not a bad place
to be, I finally managed to straighten everything out and managed to
stay on the runway.

It sounds a lot like what happened to a friend of mine in his Maule
M6-235 with a Scott 3200 tailwheel. He landed after a steep slip to
lose altitude and the airplane cut right and ran off the runway
almost immediately. He figured he screwed up but then it happened
again just like that a week later when he was slipping because of a
crosswind. It turned out to be a broken part inside the tailwheel
that caused it to turn with the rudder but not return when the rudder
was centered. It was the tailwheel, not the pilot. I'm sorry but I
don't know enough about it to be more specific than that.