Old May 26th 17, 11:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default Reserve altitude

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 7:00:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Just double checking my understanding of the see you mobile, (Oudie) reserve altitude correction.

If I set my reserve at 1000' and my target field is at 700' and my "Arrival Altitude" says 2700' ... does that mean I will arrive at 3700' essentially 2000 above the ground?

Dennis DC

Hi Dennis,

The better way to do this is set the reserve altitude to zero and let the device report estimated arrival height. Then do that PIC thing and make appropriate decisions. Targeting an arrival at Post Mills (and many other places) at an arbitrary 1000 agl from 20 miles out is going to lead to problems.

best,
Evan / T8