Old May 21st 20, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default 2020 Accidents & Insurance, usa

How many times can we sanctimoniously point to checklist errors?

All that demonstrates is that people screw up from time to time.

The training curriculum is totally silent on handling:

* a loose canopy, especially side opening.
* cockpit distractions such as cameras and other gadgets coming loose and bouncing about.

Mostly this stuff happens on launch and when it suddenly happens the pilot gets to improvise with varying degrees of success/failure.

My two launch principles a

1. Hand on release
2. Touch nothing else but trim (happily mine's on the stick).

Well OK, the manual for my glider recommends changing flap during the ground run on aerotow and I did once close spoilers after discovering a bounce had popped them open.

I set up altimeter and electronics, check flaps, trim and spoilers locked BEFORE entering the cockpit. Once seated, I do the entire checklist.